I received an email a few days ago regarding the Error Code 0x80070426. This error is usually because a service which should be running was disabled by accident, unfortunately, had to go through a few months ago. The scary part of this error is that you don’t have any access to the start button, desktop and task bar.
It was really a headache trying to fix it. I tried disassembling every piece I could, thinking it was a hardware thing. I didn’t want to format everything because of the files I need and some work had to be done to reach my deadline.
Anyways, enough of the ramblings. I hope this saves you time. Here are the steps I took to solve the error 0x80070426.
- Start your computer in Safe Mode. To do this just press F8 immediately when your computer is turned on.
- Select the Safe Mode with command prompt option. Wait until you are at the login screen. Some lines regarding drivers will show up before getting to the login screen.
- Log in to your computer using the user with admin rights.
- In the command prompt enter “services.msc” and press Enter.
- A new window with the title “Services” will pop up. Find the “Software Licensing” in the window. The list is alphabetical order so it should be easy to find.
- Right-click on it and select “Properties“. On the General tab change the drop down button to “Automatic” and click Ok.
That’s it! Just restart and the error code 0x80070426 should be gone now.
This error comes from the Software Licensing Service which was disabled. If you click on the more information on the error message, it says “The service has not been started.”
If this has help you or is still experiencing the error 0x80070426 after doing the steps above, please comment below and I may be able to help you.